Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Using Raffle Tickets for More Motivating Games

In our library, we play A LOT of games. I have found over the years, that once my fastest teams finish, the slower teams quickly lose their motivation. I have started using 2 part, perforated raffle tickets (available at toy warehouses or party stores)as motivators to keep all of my teams working hard the whole time. Instead of the fastest team winning the game, for each correct answer the team locates, they receive half of a raffle ticket. The other half of the ticket goes into a raffle basket. Of course, the more correct answers the team gives, the better chance they have of being lucky at the end. However, the slower teams know they still have a good chance of winning, so they stay focused until time is called. Then, at the end of the class, we pull one or two tickets and the students check their numbers to see if they have the matching half. A prize is given to those holding the lucky numbers. They love it. The excitement in the room is palpable as we check the raffle numbers. I have found that they students beg to play the raffle game again the next week!

1 comment:

  1. You are my favorite library manipulator! This is genius! If nothing else, Americans young and old are motivated by competition. How better to motivate them than with the old school favorite: a raffle!
    I'll admit, I've seen this in action and it works just as you'd imagine it would. Like Willy Wonka (fashion and all ;) ), Bev has every kid crazy for the golden ticket.

    ReplyDelete